The Masks We Wear November 1, 2018


With yesterday being Halloween, a number of my staff members were dressed up as characters from the Harry Potter line of books and movies. I, as usual, didn't dress up at all for Halloween. While I can appreciate the effort people put into their costumes, I've worked enough Halloweens where I don't ever want to celebrate the day. This curmudgeon over here would rather leave that to others. But a couple of interactions with customers got me thinking about something.

About two or three customers asked me "Where's your mask/costume." To which I responded "I wear a mask every day, I can't add another one to the costume." After the second or third time responding in that manner it got me thinking. I work in a corporate environment where you can't say this and can't do that or speak in this manner...blah blah blah. Keeping that in mind, the person who I am while working as Café Manager is definitely not the person I am when I am working at the bar or at home. The person making your Pumpkin Spice Latte isn't the same person pouring you a pint of Guinness with a shot of Paddy's Irish Whiskey. Funny that its that way.

Having to curb myself and who I am in terms of personality at work by wearing a "mask" really sucks but has to be done in this current state of corporate rules, political correctness, customer appeasement and the ever popular "the customer is always right" mentality. Though necessary, keeping up the façade is hard and is always prone to cracking. Luckily I have one night a week at Finn's Corner that allows my true self out in conversation and interactions with customers. No mask is necessary. It sucks that I have to wear one at all.

What causes you all to wear masks in your daily routine. Let me know in the comment box.

Have a great day.

Until Then Keep Stepping,
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaIsStepping
#SiscoVanillaHitsTheBricks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steps for Week of June 22 - June 28, 2020

Peloton Arid Air Scenic Ride July 1, 2020

Saturday Sass September 29, 2018