The Weekend Warrior on Fitbit June 11, 2018


As I mentioned in my initial post New Blog and New Adventures, my road to trying to create a new way of life for myself in terms of better health came on the day when I purchased my first Fitbit Blaze. On February 8, 2017, I strolled into Walmart and said to myself: Why the fuck not. Sitting at 276 pounds, with aching knees and constantly bad back I had enough.

16 months later I'm sitting at roughly 255 pounds. My knees feel much better, the back doesn't give me nearly enough problems as before and I've dropped down to a size 44 pant from a lifetime high of a size 50.

I can actually shop for t-shirts at stores like Old Navy where before I couldn't. To us big guys, Old Navy's 2X is more like an XL...but I can fit into them now. I also had clothes sitting in the closet that I had bought in anticipation for when I could actually fit into them. Now I can. My old clothes went into plastic bags and I dropped them off at one of the donation bins that are in my neighborhood. Its quite liberating!!!!


And it was simply done by just walking. I started out with the American Heart Association recommended goal of 10,000 steps a day and now I'm up to trying to get a minimum of 15,500 steps a day. I regularly surpass that almost on a daily basis by engaging in walking challenges through the Fitbit app. For more information on the American Heart Association and Walking, check out their Walking: Take the First Step! website.

Fitbit actually has quite the thriving social community through their app. You make friends through the app or you can add your friends who have a Fitbit through social media platforms such as Facebook or through your contacts. The app has a number of different challenges from Weekly and Weekend walking challenges to daily goals and a number of other scenic type walking challenges. I find for my purposes, I engage in the weekly and weekend challenges. And trust me, they can get quite competitive.

For this weekend, I engaged in three weekend warrior challenges and came in first in one of them. Now I really don't care about winning or losing. I leave that to those who are ultra competitive. But I do like to see where I stand with the other walkers in the challenges. I have met a number of interesting people while engaging in these challenges.

And for those of you who follow me on Instagram, you already know that I religiously post the results of the day's steps regardless of whether I hit my goal or not. I personally believe in transparency. While I am doing this exclusively for me, I know that in doing so I have helped others to undertake their own walking journeys. The least I can do is be truthful about my own trials and tribulations.

Here are the steps for the last two days of June 9th and 10th:


As you can see, you can track a variety of metrics through the app and device. In a later post I'll go into what you can measure and keep track of though the Fitbit website. I like to keep the weekend steps between 35,000 and 40,000 steps. So as you can see, I'm right where I need to be. 

Ok folks, that's enough for now. Its time to get ready for work. Day five of six in this current stretch. Keep posted on your progress. I'd love to hear about your struggles, on how you over come said struggles and what your future plans are concerning your stepping.

Until Then, Keep Stepping
SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaIsStepping
#SiscoVanillaHitsTheBricks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steps for Week of June 22 - June 28, 2020

Peloton Arid Air Scenic Ride July 1, 2020

Saturday Sass September 29, 2018