What To Do With Old Vegetables and Veggie Scraps August 10, 2018

I was recently flipping through my wife's copy of the September 2018 issue of Women's Health Magazine and came across the following tips for utilizing vegetables when they are no longer in optimal shape.


Another tip that I adhere to is to take all the veggie scraps that you might have and use them to make a vegetable stock for soups and other recipes. For example, I take the ends of carrots, onions, celery, peppers and other vegetables and freeze them until I have enough to make a stock.

A way that I feed into my frugal side while buying veggies is that I go to my local market and purchase those veggies that are marked either "Manager's Special" or something else similar. Why those? Those veggies probably got close to or went past their sell by date and the store wants to sell them off instead of tossing them. You can still get relatively fresh vegetables this way at a fraction of the price. Just cut off the pieces that might be bruised or damages and use the rest in your stock.

To do so I use my trusty (but as of late rarely used) pressure cooker to make the stock. Now I don't have a particular recipe that I use to make the stock. I kind of just wing it as I go along depending on what I have to throw into the stock. For a reference point on using a pressure cooker to make Vegetable stock, I suggest you check out the following post from the Pressure Cooking Today website: Pressure Cooker Vegetable Stock. They recommend that after your make the stock and strain out the remaining pieces, that you store the stock in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.

Give it a go. Its a good way to maximize the money that is spent on veggies without having to waste the pieces that get cut off while using the majority of the vegetables. Let me know how it comes out.

Until Then Keep Stepping,
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaIsStepping
#SiscoVanillaHitsTheBricks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steps for Week of June 22 - June 28, 2020

Peloton Arid Air Scenic Ride July 1, 2020

Saturday Sass September 29, 2018