Why I Decided to Participate With Kiva October 13, 2018


Writing the article Everything That I Did After Losing My Job which was published by TheBillFold.com on October 2, 2018 made me re-evaluate where I am in my life. As many of you know, I'm on a mission to be Debt Free by 50. I'm 4 years from that goal and on the path to getting there. My next phase is to try to make a difference.

I've started doing that with my fundraising efforts for the Making Strides Breast Cancer Walk. Donations can still be made:

- My personal page with Making Strides Against Breast Cancer

I've also started participating in the efforts that Kiva.org undertakes. What is Kiva you might ask? I'll let Kiva speak for itself via their About Us webpage:

Kiva is an international nonprofit, founded in 2005 and based in San Francisco, with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. We celebrate and support people looking to create a better future for themselves, their families and their communities. 

By lending as little as $25 on Kiva, anyone can help a borrower start or grow a business, go to school, access clean energy or realize their potential. For some, it’s a matter of survival, for others it’s the fuel for a life-long ambition. 

100% of every dollar you lend on Kiva goes to funding loans. Kiva covers costs primarily through optional donations, as well as through support from grants and sponsors. 

I made $25 dollars available for a loan on Kiva. Why? Simply put, I just want to help someone out that might not normally get the opportunity due to financial standing, gender and/or location. This is how I see it from my perspective. I've spent plenty of money on nights of drinking where after all the beers, shots and cocktails that I've consumed, it all just gets pissed away. Literally pissed away.

Now the social experiences are part of it and really can't be financially quantified. But I'm at the point in my life that I am tired of pissing money away. If I'm willing to spend $25 dollars on a bar tab or a bottle of booze for the house, then why can't I use the same $25 to help someone build their farm, their business or to educate themselves. And it isn't about making a profit. The loan amount I designate doesn't generate any financial profit for me.

Some of you out there must be thinking, then why bother? My answer to you would be: Why not. As I've already established, I've pissed away more money than I can remember at bars, clubs and cocktail lounges in my 46 years on this planet. So why can't I utilize that money to help someone who needs it. Another question that you might be asking yourselves is: What if the loan doesn't get repaid, you lose your money? Again, I go back to the pissing my money away by drinking. Not getting repaid is no worse than pissing away my money after a night of drinking.

Here is the person I chose to lend my $25 dollars to. Her name is Karla Mishel and she lives in Tulcán, Ecuador. This is how the Kiva website describes her story:

Karla Mishel's story

Karla through the help received has achieved a better lifestyle. Now, she is studying at a university with the dream of having a better future and likewise provide the best for her three-year-old son.

With the income obtained, she has started another business selling clothes, blankets, and sheets on request. This activity has earned her better income allowing her to improve her profitability


She is requesting help to buy pants, blankets, and underwear for ladies, men, and children in this way have higher sales.


This loan is special because:


It aims to reach vulnerable refugee populations in an isolated region. 

Buena suerte a Karla en tu megocio.

As I see more opportunities to lend money, I'll do so. I ask that you also look into Kiva as a way to help those at need. I'll also keep you all updated on my experience with using Kiva.

Until Then Keep Stepping,
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaIsStepping
#SiscoVanillaHitsTheBricks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steps for Week of June 22 - June 28, 2020

Peloton Arid Air Scenic Ride July 1, 2020

Saturday Sass September 29, 2018