The Happiness of Pursuit by Chris Guillebeau June 10, 2018


Welcome back gals and fellas. One of the things that I want to do with the blog is to highlight some of the books that I come across. One such book is the Happiness of Pursuit:Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to Your Life by Chris Guillebeau. Here is how the book is described:
A remarkable book that will both guide and inspire, The Happiness of Pursuit reveals how anyone can bring meaning into their life by undertaking a quest.
So far the book is fascinating. It is chock full of stories of people who have undertaken quests for themselves from the runner who completed 250 marathons in one year to the woman who has dedicated herself to knitting 10,000 hats. The author himself has completed a major quest of visiting every country of the world. As you can see by his Instagram Tag: @193Countries, Guillebeau has visited 193 countries, doing so before the age of 35! 

Now I don't know about you, but when I think of a quest, I think of the two stalwart friends Shrek and Donkey going off on a whirlwind adventure. 


Well, maybe its just me. But who, while stuck in a rut at either at work or at home doesn't think about satiating their wanderlust and go walk about like Crocodile Dundee:


Maybe I'm dating myself with that reference. But who doesn't want to leave everything behind and go a-questing. 

As we all know the reality of life makes it hard for most of us to just up and leave aka children to feed, jobs to work, bills to pay. Isn't real life wonderful???? But seriously, we all can undertake our quests with the time that we have available to us. We just have to take the first step and do it. So where does that leave me. 

I'm currently working six days a week, often more than that in a row depending on how the schedule plays out. But I am trying to come up with short walking jaunts that I can undertake on my day(s) off. One such quest that I started a few weeks ago was walking bridges. 

About a month ago I walked the Brooklyn Bridge. Two weeks ago I walked the Manhattan Bridge. Now it doesn't sound like much, but doing so served a variety of purposes:
  • Helped me attain the necessary steps to hit my daily step goal of 15,500 steps.
  • Gave me some scenery to watch as I walked
  • Broke the monotony of the same daily walks that I undertake.
  • Because I could walk the bridge. 
For the remainder of this Spring/Summer of 2018, I'm going to try and walk a variety of places that I might not have walked before or not in a very long time. That is going to be my quest. And I'll document said jaunts with some pretty pictures.


Ok, enough of the pop-culture references for one post.

Anyone on any interesting quests of their own? Feel free to let me know in the comments box of this post. I'll keep an eye out for your words of wisdom.

Until Then, Keep Stepping
SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanilla
#SiscoVanillaIsStepping
#SiscoVanillaHitsTheBricks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steps for Week of June 22 - June 28, 2020

Peloton Arid Air Scenic Ride July 1, 2020

Saturday Sass September 29, 2018